Active Shooter Procedures
Specific circumstances dictate how a person responds to an Active Shooter.
Camden County College takes the safety of its faculty, staff and students very seriously.
The below information is provided, in the event you find yourself involved in an active shooter situation.
Please view the video "RUN. HIDE. FIGHT."
REMAIN CALMCall 9-1-1 or Public Safety at (856) 374-5089 when it is safe to do so.
PROFILE of an Active ShooterAn active shooter is an individual actively engaged in killing or attempting to kill people in a confined and populated area; typically through the use of firearms.
CHARACTERISTICS of an Active Shooter Situation
- Victims are selected at random
- The event is unpredictable and evolves quickly
- Law enforcement is usually required to end an active shooter situation
COPING with an Active Shooter Situation
- Be aware of your environment and any possible dangers
- Take note of the two nearest exists in any facility you visit
- If you are in an office, stay there and secure the door
- Attempt to take the active shooter down as a last resort
HOW TO RESPONDWhen an Active Shooter is in Your Vicinity
- Have an escape route and plan in mind
- Leave your belongings behind
- Keep your hands visible
- Hide in an area out of the shooter's view
- Block entry to your hiding place and lock the doors
- Silence your cell phone and/or pager
- As a last resort and only when your life is in imminent danger
- Attempt to incapacitate the shooter
- Act with physical aggression and throw items at the active shooter
HOW TO RESPONDWhen Law Enforcement Arrives
- Remain calm and follow instructions
- Put down any items in your hands (i.e., bags, jackets)
- Raise hands and spread fingers
- Keep hands visible at all times
- Avoid quick movements toward officers such as holding on to them for safety
- Avoid pointing, screaming or yelling
- Do not stop to ask officers for help or direction when evacuating
INFORMATIONYou should provide to Law Enforcement or 911 Operator
- Location of active shooter
- Number of shooters
- Physical description of shooters
- Number and type of weapons held by shooters
- Number of potential victims at the location