General Information Student Support Services Partners Application Process FAQ Contacts Gateway Home
How to Apply to the Gateway to College Program
Four-Step Application Process
Please review the basic eligibility requirements before applying to the program:
• You are between the ages of 16-20
- • Not currently attending school and have been out of school for at least 6 months
- • You live within the boundaries of the Camden City School District
- • You are behind in credits for your grade level
- • You are able to read at an 8th grade level or higher, as determined by a reading assessment
Please phone (856) 968-1240 to request an application, or click on the hotlink to the application from here.
Step 1: Contact the Gateway Office to obtain an application and register for an information session.
- • Complete the application packet in full. Do not forget to sign your name
- • Complete your written answers to the essay questions found in the application packet
- • Complete the consent form and educational records release form included in the application packet, sign each and, if you are under the age of 18, have your parent or guardian sign them as well
You must register in advance to attend an information session and you must bring your completed application (see Step One). An Information Session may take up to 2.5 hours. Parents or guardians are encouraged to attend.
Information Session Agenda
- • Receive detailed information on the Gateway to College program, including program philosophy, expectations, benefits and next steps
- • Complete a reading level assessment
- • Review your application materials to make sure you meet all basic eligibility requirements
- • Allow us to have a chance to meet you and learn more about your academic and life goals
After steps 1 and 2 have been completed, you will be scheduled for an interview if you have met all of the eligibility requirements.
Your interview will be with a Gateway professional. This will afford us an opportunity to learn more about your strengths and your motivation to take part in the program. This is also an opportunity for you to ask any questions that you may have about the program.
Your interview will normally be a week or so after your information session and will take approximately an hour to complete. All interviews will take place at our Camden County College office, located in College Hall, room 118.
Step 4: Selection Committee Review
The selection committee will review all candidate applications for the Gateway to College program that have completed steps 1-3. It is very important that you submit all required application materials by the deadline. Acceptance is not guaranteed. Space in the program is limited.
The selection committee will be evaluating applicants based on the following factors:
- • Candidate meets all the eligibility requirements
- • Application is complete, and all application materials were turned in by the deadline
- • Candidate achieves at least the minimum standard scores on all evaluations
- • Candidate displays positive behavior, attitude and participation at the evaluation sessions
- • Candidate completes the individual interview and shows us that he/she is ready and motivated
- • Candidate displays a commitment to completing the Gateway to College program
• You will be notified by letter of the selection committee's decision. If you are accepted, you will receive a letter of acceptance, your class schedule, and contact information for your resource specialist.
If for some reason you do not receive an acceptance letter, please phone us at (856) 968-1240 to check on your status. Do not wait until the first day of classes to check on your acceptance status.
Please notify us immediately of any change in your contact information, including address, home phone and cell phone.