A licensed dental hygienist is a health care professional, oral health educator and clinical operator who utilizes scientific knowledge and methods to provide preventive, educational and therapeutic services to support the control of oral diseases and the promotion of oral health. Under the supervision of a dentist, a dental hygienist records the patient's dental history, charts the mouth for evaluation and diagnosis by the dentist, scales and polishes teeth, exposes radiographs, applies fluoride and sealants, and functions as a dental health educator.
Program Information: (See Academic Program Guide)
The Dental Hygiene Program at Camden County College is a two-year, full-time, daytime associate degree program that prepares students to take national and state licensure exams in dental hygiene. Successful completion of the program and the licensure exams allow the candidate to be employed in dental offices, institutions, clinics and other health care facilities.
An Associate in Applied Science (A.A.S.) degree can lead to employment in a private dental office, as a clinical hygienist, or a dental office manager. Further education can lead to employment as a dental researcher, public health dental hygienist, dental hygiene educator, or dental hygiene education administrator.
The program in Dental Hygiene is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation, a specialized accrediting body recognized by the Commission on Recognition of Postsecondary Accreditation and by the United States Department of Education. The Commission on Dental Accreditation can be contacted at (312) 440-2719 or at 211 East Chicago Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611.
To be considered eligible to apply, the following prerequisites MUST be satisfied:
1. High school college preparatory course diploma or equivalent.
2. High school biology course with lab - Grade "C" or better.
3. High school chemistry course with lab - Grade "C" or better.
4. Placement into college level English and mathematics courses based on the results of the New Jersey Basic Skills Test.
5. SAT scores of 450 in Math, Critical Reading 450, Writing 450 (minimum). Applicants who have college experience do not have to submit SAT. Your GPA will be considered instead.
6. College transfer applicants must have attained a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0. It is strongly recommended that the applicant take as many core courses as possible included in the hygiene curriculum prior to applying.
*Camden County College offers two high school equivalency courses, Preparation for Biology and Preparation for Chemistry/Physics, which would satisfy our program prerequisites.
**The College Placement Test is required of all students. Under the open admissions policy, all students who apply to county colleges are accepted; however, admission into selective programs may be limited by specific criteria. Students must demonstrate college level skills before acceptance into the Dental Hygiene Program. Students deficient in one or more areas will be advised to take the proper remediation classes and reapply for the program.
After completion of the above prerequisites, an application for admission to the Dental Hygiene Program should be submitted to the Office of Records and Registration. The following will then occur:
1. There will be a review of transcripts by director of dental programs.
2. Competitive candidates will meet with the director of dental programs.
3. Candidates will receive written notification of the Admissions Committee decision.
4. If accepted, the candidate must obtain current Basic Life Support certification. Approved courses include either American Heart Association, Health Care Provider Course; or American Red Cross, Basic Life Support for the Professional Rescuer.
5. A physical exam, various immunizations will be required before the beginning of class. The dental department has an extensive exposure control/infectious disease policy, which is available upon request.
6. If the candidate is not accepted, but wishes to be considered for the following year, he/she must reapply by contacting the Office of Records and Registration. THERE IS NO WAITING LIST.
The Office of Records and Registration will accept applications for the Dental Hygiene Program ONLY between September 1 and February 1. Applications received after February 1 and before September 1 will be rejected. All prerequisite courses and all documentation, including all high school and college transcripts, must be complete PRIOR TO MARCH 15.
Send transcripts to:
Camden County College
Office of Records and Registration
P.O. Box 200
Blackwood, NJ 08012
A class is accepted once a year. The program begins in the fall semester. Admission to the Dental Hygiene Program is on a competitive basis and completion of all prerequisites and core curriculum courses does not guarantee admission to the program. Since there are more applicants than there are positions, admission will be based according to the applicant's documented record. Science courses that were completed five or more years prior to enrollment in the hygiene program will not be accepted for transfer credit.*** Preference will be given to students who have completed their core curriculum requirements at Camden County College.
Since many courses in the DH curriculum incorporate computer activities, it is required that the student have Internet access and a basic understanding of computer usage and Internet navigation.
You may apply online by going to: www.apply.camdencc.edu Either create an account, or if you are already a student at Camden County, login. This is the general College application. There is not an application specific to the Dental Hygiene Program. When the application asks you to list the degree or certificate program that you intend to pursue at Camden County College, fill in the following information:
Program Code: SPDH Program Name: Dental Hygiene *1, 2, 3
Make sure that you put Fall as the semester you are applying for.
For more information, contact Dr. Catherine Boos, Director of Dental Programs at (856) 227-7200, ext. 4472.
Questions or comments? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org